Saturday, September 04, 2010

Random thoughts about Life in London



1. You will be surprised to see how ‘Indian’ is London. There is nothing really ‘foreign’ about England.

2. Recession in the UK is reality. Companies are going bankrupt everyday and there is lot of redundancy.

3. You would consciously be spending less or at least thinking twice before spending money. The constant worry to save on the back of your mind does take away some charm of living in the UK. If your intention is to save money, there will be some constant sacrifice/struggle.

4. It gets dark very early in winters and some people find it depressing when there is so little day light.

5. Some theatres show Hindi movies and there are plenty of Indian shops around. Even there are temples to go and celebrate the festivals.

6. There will be no maid and you will have to do all your work on your own, from washing clothes and dishes to ironing clothes to cleaning the house and even toilet (or worse clean a toilet which you would share with 4 other people!).

7. Regarding work culture – Office timings are quite strict, while at work people are not expected to attend to personal phone calls, or take days off unless sick.

8. There are no holidays during the year except 4-5 official offs. You will get 20 days of annual leave which you can avail for your once a year India trip.

9. It may seem that for some initial period you follow a very dull routine of work-home-work but as you begin to settle down you will find more things to do and enjoy your time here.

10. Transport For London is fantastic.

5 comments:

Shashank said...

Wow! :)
Have to write some points too:

1. Attention ignorant north Indians - there is nothing 'foreign' about Chennai either! Once you get used to a little language discord, there's so much to enjoy! Such a peaceful, polite city this is.

2. I can totally relate to the sacrifice/struggle bit, though I ALWAYS err on the extravagant side.

3. I worry that one day in the not-so-distant-future, the Indian IT industry will be so bombarded with young and ready to work for low pay developers, that people like me will find themselves out of jobs.

4. And out of significant savings. Thanks to consumerism, the only relevant contribution of Indian youth.

5. I don't have a maid either, so I can share your grief. :D Ironing clothes was the worst ever, but I do it without complaining now.

6. That video from Bicycle films was fantastic. :) Please, please, try that out!

Blogger said...

Thanks!

1. I bet not many Indians agree with this description of Chennai, let alone the Northerners :P

2. Our generation is the 'desperate-ready-to-work-crazy-for-no-pay' darkies who knocked several hundered thousands of westerners out of work!

3. Thanks for pointing me to the video, I will try and arrange things for the Bicycle Weekend :) :)

Shashank said...

Very astute! I suppose what goes around comes back around!

Shashank said...

And did you just call us 'darkies'? :O

Blogger said...

Yeah, may be politicaly incorrect but apt in the context!