Saturday, November 29, 2008

Days that follow...

The Mumbai terror strike has shattered my thought process. I spent 16 hours watching live video from the Taj of the Operation Cyclone, unable to shut down the system.

I wish I could write something comprehensive about the attacks and the aftermath. I wish I could invoke some thinking in all of us who are beginning to get immune to terrorism. But I am too disturbed. My thoughts are fragments of fear and anger. I am not able to make sense of the situation. Here is a series of thoughts that are haunting me for more than 70 hours now.

Why do we have to wait until the terrorists attack us? I salute to the NSG, the Army, the Police force, the Fire fighters and each individual who braved this situation for their courage and sheer grit. We have the capabilities. Let us take them from the front. Kill the bastards before they can do the damage.

Who is behind these attacks? The brain who knew that the operation could last for days, the brain who knew the Taj was vulnerable, the brain who could foresee the economic implications, the brain who could poison brains of 10 SOBs, the brain who is against India to this extent. Who is he? Certainly not a group of amateur individuals, then who?

Who is funding them? Who is supplying the ammunition? Where are they getting trained?

I have spent years conveniently thinking that the blasts are a Hindu Muslim rivalry. This is not religious. It is Anti-India. This comes from outside. But who is foolish enough to hallucinate India’s destruction? A country of billions, we will rise and shine come what may.

Scaring away foreigners from India? Cutting down on its investment options? Spreading insecurity among businesses world wide? Who can be benefited from such consequences?

What is wrong with the neighbours? Why are they turning a blind eye to it? Are the leaders so short sighted that they don’t see the fire spreading across?

How come 3 senior officials got killed so early on in the operation? Did we underestimate?

Are the politicians for once going to take their jobs seriously? Is it not tragic enough for them to still play silly and dirty party politics?

I hate to admit, but as I sit separated from my family by thousands of kilometres I feel scared. I feel the heat and the danger they are in.

When is the terrorism going to stop? What is the goal of such inhumane acts? What is going wrong – each time – all the time?

No comments: