Cosmic coincidence? Perhaps.
In last few weeks I was introduced to the Jewish religion from more than 1 sources. First it was the BBC series - The Story of the Jews and then a birthday gift from S - The Marrying of Chani Kaufman (Eve Harris).
It is fascinating - the concept, the ideology, the depth of history and sociology associated with the followers of this religion. Also, the fact that it is a closed community makes curious cats like me want to know more - what, why and how of Jewish people.
As a student, I never read about religions - the closest thing to religion in our school curriculum was moral education - being virtuous! (which I think is one of the best things in our education system at the moment, and wish for it to stay as non-religious). And in my neighbourhood, though much diverse, I had not come across people following Judaism.
So this was a road to discovery - an ancient world; brand new for me. It is enchanting and confining in it's archaic laws and rituals. There is a reason behind the rules, but in this modern age - to be able to see that reason and abide by it - must take complete and utter surrender from mortals.
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman is slightly different from other immigration based novels as it talks more of struggles within the community than those posed by the outside world. However, the main thought is still of a submissive generation being replaced by a rebellious one. The dilemmas of conformity, the dilemmas of being accepted by your own as well as those outside.
However, I am not entirely convinced of its place in the Booker Long List for 2013. Perhaps it is the first book to give an insider's view of a community so closely knit? Which would then justify the praise it has been bestowed.
Here, it is not a rare sight to spot a large family with fully covered women and men in monochrome clothes and I would be lying if I said they didn't make me think who/why. At least the answer is not beyond comprehension now.
No comments:
Post a Comment