Sunday, September 22, 2013

Jalebiii!!

I thought I  had a ready mix at hand - but I didn't.

So here is how I prepared my Jalebis from scratch -

Batter - 8-10 heaped table spoons of plain flour, 3 table spoons of gram flour, 5 table spoons of sugar, 1 table spoon of baking powder. Add water to achieve cake-mix consistency (so that it drips of the spoon in strands rather than drops).

Syrup or Chaashni - 1 portion of sugar & 1.25 portion water - left to boil for about 1 hour, then cooled to thicken such that it coats the back of the spoon.

Process - Let the batter rest for about 30 min. Then fill it in a squeeze ketch up bottle.
Heat cooking oil in a wok (kadahi) on medium heat. Test if the oil is hot enough by 1 drop of batter - it should bubble and rise immediately. If the oil is heated enough then start squeezing small circles of batter from the bottle. Don't worry too much about the shape :)

Dip hot jalebis into chaashni for 20-40 seconds and put aside.

Yummy jalebis are ready :)

Jaana to hai...magar..JALEBII!! Iconic advertisement - cannot not think of it every time I make Jalebis :) :)

Preparation!
Sweetened with Syrup


Dig in!



Acknowledgement -
Bajiya's Cooking - Took the basic batter proportions from her recipe video.

No comments: