Sunday, August 11, 2013

The True First Kindle Book

Correction: In the 'Cloud Atlas' post I mentioned that Cloud Atlas was my first Kindle book. This is not true - And I have only realised it after reading a true Kindle book & the experience was much different. 

I was looking for books for a couple of pre-teens girls as gifts. Not knowing what would they like I was inclined on tried and trusted classics. Browsing through 100s of titles on Amazon - found 'Around the world in 80 days' with a price 0.00 for Kindle edition!

Having recently acquired a wireless connection, I was keen on using my Kindle more, so purchased it then. I must confess - already a fan of Amazon's one click ordering, I was all the more impressed how quickly the book was downloaded on my Kindle after clicking 'buy'. Great stuff!

Reading a proper Kindle book on Kindle is much different from reading any old pdf. The pages are rightly sized (no need for scrolling), I can attach notes, highlight, book mark sections and even look up meanings of the words without leaving the page. It also calculates the speed at which you read and tells you how long left before you finish it :) - I had not heard of that before!! The only thing I would have liked more - was the ability to copy and paste in notes.

But come what may - nothing beats a paper book. Love the smell of paper, love turning the pages, love reaching the end of a book and then reading the back cover, I simply love every part of a book.  Nothing beats the addition of a book to a shelf in my room. Love admiring them whenever I enter the room, love reading the titles on the spine, love rearranging them :)

I love my books. I love the escape they give me - the way they take me to empty spaces!




No comments: