Sunday, August 11, 2013

Around the world in 24 hours!

As explained in the previous post - 'Around the world in 80 days' was ordered unplanned. But it gripped me from beginning to finish like magnet to iron. 

It has such a nice old world charm to it - I find it irresistible. The English gentlemen of lore - a dream like person with all the chivalry that ever was, with all the knowledge ever discovered and with all the worldly smartness one would ever need!

The travelogue of a rich, handsome British young man around the world on sea and land (no airways in those days!) is witty, thrilling and captivating. The descriptions of the places they go through are succinct yet accurate (a bit dated though - the subcontinent has changed beyond recognition!). 

The book is written in an unique style - minimal characters with sharp attributes and each playing critical role at various points. Loved the crispness of the whole story. Just as the protagonist's task of circumventing the world in 80 days was daunting, I am sure the author's task to write about the numerous places in 150 pages (along with the story plot) must have been challenging. 

Who am I to endorse a classic like 'Around the world in 80 days' but at least I can appreciate it!

No comments: