Thank You, Ms. Lee
I don't really know what to say in appreciation of this book which is not already said. To Kill A Mocking Bird is a beauty and it is a must read. It is as good for a novice reader as it is for a voracious one. It deals with one of the gravest subjects of its time and yet has the lightness of a playtime tale of 3 young children. Rarely a book has so many qualities as this one. The edition I had been reading had quoted a newspaper - 'No one ever forgets this book' & I couldn't agree more.
Each of the characters in the book have their special place, even when talking of the whole county it never feels crowded. Scout - I wish I were like her, Jem - such smartness and Dill - the spirit of the curious! If I start writing about the characters here, then even one left out would be unfair. But that wouldn't stop me from writing for as many -
Cal - the perfect housekeeper and nurse, Miss Maudie - ahead of her times and Aunt Alexandra the perfect left over from past. Boo Radley - children's guardian angel and Mrs. D the relic.
Mr. Tate, Mr. Underwood and Mr. Deas all playing crucial parts - none too overpowering and none complete without the other. Judge Taylor - intriguingly alert even when half asleep!
Atticus Finch - the most realistic of literary heroes in my mind. A single parent, balancing his ethos as well as affection to perfection. Points of view may differ on his parenting but no one can deny his pearls of wisdom.
Lee is such a maverick! To have told the story of racial bias through the eyes of a 'not-yet' 9 year old while not losing the gravity of the situation. Chemistry between Atticus and his children is enviable (if that's a word!). It is amazing how everyday conversations with one's parents make the very being of our lives later. As I write this, I am reflecting on the numerous times when my father has given me similar 'gyan'. & Neither have I been appreciative at all times nor as absorbent as Jem and Scout. But I hope things are registered in the sub-conscious. It is the wealth of experience which makes us the richest.
My apologies if I am more stuck to the parent-child relationship angle of the book rather than the racial injustice. Thankfully from where I see it - parent child relationships are more universal, more 'forever' than the social issue of racial discrimination. I don't deny its presence even today but at least racism is not acceptable. It is being fought against by thousands around the world equipped with laws and media.
But what goes between parent(s) and children is not subject to such critical studies. It is often not talked about, it just how it is. So if Atticus Finch can inspire in the readers even a frail desire to be fractionally as honest as the Finches amongst family, it would be a much stronger unit!
After having completed the book, in order to quell my immediate withdrawal symptoms, I found a few things to read about Harper Lee on the Internet. It is amazing to think that the book is remotely biographical. What a character little Scout is :) Thank you Ms. Lee for sharing it with us.
PS: I mostly borrow books from the library as I had this time. But it has struck such a chord that I want to own a copy for myself :) Next induglent trip & it should be home!
No comments:
Post a Comment