I have this very strong notion in my head - that nothing comes without planning, without working hard towards getting it. Whenever I see people of my generation having a seemingly good life - in the high earning spectrum, married by a certain age, living in a newly constructed (or still under construction!) house, with European cars and holidays - I think - it may look effortless, but it is not.
I believe the smart working class people, have increasingly started 'planning' life. Every move is calendarised, every information organised, every event managed. Always - in control; of everything.
And when I flew out of the nest, I almost instinctively started to do the same - plan, plan and plan!! I have spent a lot of my life being sequential - A after B, Y not before X and so on. I have tried to think ahead, manage my future. I find these words from Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel) unforgettable - "It is all very good to have a plan for next year, couple of years or 5 years, but is no good to not have a plan for tomorrow"
I have learnt, that it is in this tiny unplanned tomorrow that life happens!
Quite a few turning points in my life have come out of turn (pun intended). Further education - planned? Not until I actually filled in the form. Working in the UK - planned? Not until weeks before time to fly back. Getting married - not even after being engaged!!!
Still - I have not given up on planning, and rather have dragged S into it! Someone who has lived for now most of his life, must find it so strange, but still appreciates my point of view :) I do think planning reaps rewards and definitely is not harmful! But what it does or rather has done to me is - made me wary of surprises, cautious of unexpected things, and scared of sudden decisions.
What we did today is super awesome, long due, and eagerly awaited :) I have been so looking forward to this! But when it happened, it happened suddenly and my feelings got punctuated by my overly planned mind.
I am sorry S, and well done you :)
No comments:
Post a Comment