Friday, March 16, 2012


Another useless book


May be I am being too harsh, but I could have done without reading this book in my life. I am referring to the English, August By Upmanyu Chatterjee.
I got hold of the book in an interesting way. A couple of years ago, while I awaited a net connection and library membership, I browsed through my cousin's collection to borrow a couple. English, August sounded to me vaguely familiar/heard of books and I asked if I could take it. He (understandably now) shied away from giving it to me then and I came back with A Passage to India.

Now, a married woman, when I asked for it again - he smilingly handed it over ;)

It recounts experience of a rookie/upper crust IAS officer in training in the interiors of India, set up in 1980s.
More than anything else this book is about indecision of a privileged 24 year old who has studied in a boys only boarding and graduated from Delhi University whilst enjoying all the easy come easy go pleasures of life. If I were a feminist - I would say the book is quite sexist. There are no female characters in the book besides introducing Mrs. X and Mrs. Ys as and when necessary. It is almost a puberty guide for those poor little things called young men! I think the cover page should indicate a statuary advise - 'Female readers, please avoid!' I am sure if the book was released now instead of 20 years earlier, it would have attracted much wrath from feminists.

As far as the story line is concerned - as the author repeats several times  - it is incomprehensible for me as I suspect for most Indians be - to choose to resign from a service which requires blood, sweat and tears in the first place to get through. As the book heavily quotes from other books including Geeta, it does have some profound lines scattered, but they are few and far apart.

Not a message book, not a reflective book (may be for those few who feel their trouble is to be born with the silver spoon), not an entertaining book. Just a book. Just a narrative. May be I am not a good enough reader, but not a good enough book either.


No comments: