Saturday, June 15, 2013

Travel Tales - Belfast

Last weekend S & I decided to have a 'meet in the middle' adventure at Belfast, Northern Ireland. 
We were not expecting to have a lot in the city to do or visit. So we thought we will spend the day at The Giant Causeways. 
But on our city tour, we discovered much more than expected!

Even after years of the peace agreement, the city is more divided than I could imagine - there is a wall running through the residential area to stop violence. It felt as if the common man was more involved in these troubles than the military could ever be. The bitterness lingers on and from what I picked, I am not sure if it is getting any less intense.

It was eerie to go through these areas with war torn buildings and rebel murals. It made me realise that how lucky I am to have never been near a conflict site.


But as always hope survives, there was a brand new development quarter in another part of the city, hailing Belfast's claim to fame - The Titanic.
Our tour guide joked - "Titanic was sent off the coast of Belfast in perfectly good order, it was not their fault that she had an English captain and a Scot navigator".
 

 We also went to the University area and the Botanic Gardens. The gardens were thronged with people, out and about to enjoy a glorious summer day! We had to queue for more than 20 minutes to get our ice creams :)

With an insight to Belfast's story at the Ulster Museum, the trip ended up being much more than just a romantic adventure!

No comments: