Sunday, July 08, 2012

Mangoes & Generals

A Case of Exploding Mangoes - long listed for Man Booker Prize in 2008. That was my primary attraction towards picking it from the library. 

I often find Booker Prize winner books quite readable. Even though this one had not won it, I went ahead because of curiosity. If we don't consider Khushwant Singh as half Pakistani then it would be probably my first notable book by a Pakistani writer. 
I was curious to see how in country so strict about political censorship, can someone write a novel about one of it's longest running military ruler's visions and ultimate death. The author being an ex-Air Force man did add some insiders details to the fiction.
There were some lucid references to India but without it I guess the book couldn't have been written by the neighbour. The fact that I am trying to write about it and nothing much comes to me does speak a lot about the book. In short - 

1. My first insight into Pakistan's army/executive structure
2. Typical racy fiction of a first timer who often remain first timers (I would have compared him to Indian Chetan Bhagat had he not been an armed forces man)
3.  Some hints of a good comic timing
4. Led me into watching some more documentaries about General Zia and Bhutto 

That's it really. Typical holiday read. Nothing sparkly about this one.

No comments: