Saturday, May 28, 2011

Aloo Tikki

Cooking after ages it seems. On a lazy Saturday afternoon I was going through my fattest veg cooking book yet & it was impossible for me to resist the lure. Nothing specifically from the book but inspired by my love of potatoes (and their ease of access) I made a cross of Indian aloo tikki and English roasties.

I boiled and grated 2 big potatoes, diced some onion and put in some chilli flakes and salt and mixed it all together. This was my mix to make the tikkies (cakes). For the batter -
plain flour, vinegar, mint sauce, ketchup(!), salt, chat masala, chilli flakes and ajwain seeds. It was a lovely pale pink in colour.

Heated oil in a frying pan and dipped the cakes into the batter and shallow fried 2 at a time. In the end I had some batter left so I dipped pieces of bread in the same and shallow fried. Made for brilliant tea time savoury snack :) Here are the pictures (Please excuse poor image quality) -


No comments: